Monday, June 23, 2014

"Do more, take less..."

I was at The Mad Tea Party Jam this past weekend in Hedgesville, WV. Thrown by Taco and Elise Olmstead of Appalachian Jamwich. This amazing grassroots festival is nothing short of magical. It was exactly what I needed after the deletion of our original Pink Moon Facebook event page and other stressors of the past week, and I feel so rejuvenated, with reinvigorated purpose and passion. This weekend confirmed that I am on the right path, doing the right thing, and so are countless others in The Region.

This is not a review of MTPJ, that's coming later this week. This is a post I felt I needed to make, a brief commentary on the incredible movement that is gaining speed in our region.

It's hard not to notice the sheer number of grassroots events popping up. There's at least one incredible event within the Mid-Atlantic Region (by which I mean WV, VA, PA, DC, MD, DE, NJ, and in which I would also include, though perhaps incorrectly, NC, TN, KY, and OH) every weekend, and sometimes two, three, or four!! These grassroots events, ranging in attendance from 500 to 5000 people, are gaining popularity because of the true sense of community they provide, close-knit and safe. While usually they do not boast the high dollar line-up the Goliaths in The Industry do (Bonnaroo, EDC, Gathering of the Vibes, etc) - the music is of the highest caliber, and so is the art. These grassroots events are also significantly cheaper than the big festivals. Example: at current prices, you could get almost 6 tickets to Pink Moon (exactly 5.7 tickets) for the price of 1 general admission ticket to Lockn'. It's a movement, it's strong, and it's growing. Not to mention being unique. No other region has the frequency or variety of grassroots events that we do. 

Over the weekend, at the Mad Tea Party Jam, I kept hearing people talk about how many of their different circles of friends were crossing over at the festival. It really did feel like a great "coming together" of the movers and shakers in The Region. But this is not only a trait of MTPJ, this is something I'd heard people say at Domefest, at Roosterwalk, and that I'd heard in friends reviews of other fests this season. I would like to propose the following idea: it is not that great numbers of different circles of friends are crossing over at these events, but we are one big circle - even if we haven't all met yet. Our numbers are astounding, and our potential is boundless.

What is growing in this region is an absolutely phenomenal and talented community of passionate people. I feel so blessed to be a part of it, and to be able to help nurture "my little corner of The Scene" here on Pinky's Farm and at every event I attend. I believe in what we are all doing, and truly believe we can change the world. Scratch that, we have already changed the world. Let's keep it going.

In the end, I can not say it better than the Great Taco Olmstead: "Do more, take less..." - that's my mission moving forward.

-Jess & Pink Moon

2 comments: