Monday, October 19, 2015

Re-Post: The Art of the Physical Press Kit

I have a very particular protocol for booking the festivals I organize, and I've caught a lot of flack for it in the past. Yet I swear by it, and it all starts with the traditional and oft-forgotten Physical Press Kit.

If you are in an up and coming band wishing to get booked at a Pink Moon Presents event (including the Pink Moon Festival) I require the submission of a Physical Press Kit, and here's why:

First and foremost the Physical Press Kit is an industry standard. You should have or be able to put one together. But submitting a Physical Press Kit, in a world of electronic press kits (EPKs), shows me you're willing to go the extra mile.

Physical Press Kits can also be customized in a way EPKs cannot. Some of the best press kits I've received have been amazingly graphically designed, hand drawn, painted, and embellished. I have also received stickers, t-shirts, albums, posters, and one band even sent me rolling papers with their name and art on them! Try doing that with an EPK. Keep in mind, sending a piece of merch does not guarantee you'll get booked, only your music can do that!!

Another example of a creative press kit that worked - the band GNOSiS submitted a fantastic press kit to me (including a wonderful EP and hand-cut sticker) in a beautifully hand painted envelope, and I was so impressed with their music and effort I booked them for Pink Moon 6! A decision I am so happy with, as they put on an incredible show, and joined us again for Pink Moon 7!

This doesn't mean your press kit has to be some elaborate piece of art, as long as it represents your art well! Here's what your Physical Press Kit MUST include:

  • CD/Demo - this is the most important part, make sure it's a high quality recording!
  • A cover letter - why do you want to be booked at my event? What's your mission statement/sale pitch/hook?
  • Artist Biography (keep it brief but include enough factual information about your act to be able to base and article or review on)
  • high quality picture of the band, or two!
  • Upcoming (and most recent) tour dates (if available)
  • PRESS!!! Reviews, interviews, quotes, etc
  • Contact Information!! Don't forget this one!!
Once you've got your materials together, slip them neatly into a clean folder and/or envelope and mail it to me to be considered for the Pink Moon Festival, or one of our other events! Here's the address, by the way:

Pink Moon Presents
c/o Jessica Abramson
RR 1 Box 137
Rock Camp, WV 24951

Once I receive a press kit in my mailbox, here's what happens:

I open the press kit with Seth, take the CD out and pop it in the player, and then I peruse all included printed materials and share interesting points with Seth as we listen to the CD.

Sometimes we decide right away that an artist is the perfect fit for our event, in which case I contact the band and, voila, book them! Other times it takes a little while to make a decision.

I never throw away the Physical Press Kits I receive. First, I upload the CD to my iTunes, specifically to a playlist called "Press Kits" - then I put the entire press kit into a file cabinet. I listen to that "Press Kits" playlist on shuffle while I clean the house, work on my computer, or whatever - and if I find myself jammin' to a particular tune, I pull out that press kit and give it a second look. I really like to "live" with the music, and believe that everyone's art deserves a second or third listen, at least!

So there you have it. That's why I ONLY accept Physical Press Kits, and what to include in a press kit for me. Other instructions on how to put together a Physical Press Kit will be more formal, and you can certainly google industry standard press kits. But this is my take on it. For more information feel free to shoot me an email at booking@rockcampproductions.com

But I'll probably just tell you to send me a press kit.

- Jess

Resource: http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/ar-tips-the-art-of-the-press-kit.html

No comments:

Post a Comment