Monday, August 12, 2013

More Adventures in Rock Camp (August 12th)

The morning sun was peeking through my curtains and gently waking me for the day. I made my way downstairs for a nice, hot cup of coffee while I checked my email and other things online. Initially, I thought the day would be just like any other business day on the farm, but little did I know it would be quite the adventure! The truck was fixed and need to be picked up from the mechanic, so Seth and I started down the mountain towards town. 

The day was shining brightly and the air held a hint of humidity that would eventually bring rain, but I’m getting ahead of myself so I will save that bit for later! We took the back roads to the shop during which we made a few stops along the way and were even halted on our journey by an unmoving cow in the middle of the road. 

Our first stop was at Joel’s, a very close friend of Jess and Seth. Joel had the most magnificent garden which I was fortunate enough to tour! It was full and rich of vegetation and flowers and everything green – raspberries, grapes, apples, potatoes, squash, edamame, peaches, and the list goes on forever.

Because there was so much to see, we stayed in the garden haven for about an hour and I was also able to tour Joel’s house. It was completely beautiful and packed with character and wonderful details. During the tour, he presented me with a grapevine wreath shaped into a peace sign – which is amazing!

We soon continued on our venture to the mechanic’s with the addition of a few cucumbers and carrots from the garden. We did have a second pit stop before getting the truck at Mark’s house. Mark also had a luscious garden but had an even greater abundance of farm animals! There were sheep, turkeys, chicken, and so many others but my favorite were the cutest little (and big) dogs!
One of them had one blue eye and one brown eye and also spent a good portion of its life in Brooklyn with Seth but found his way here to Rock Camp.

We didn’t stay there nearly as long as we did at Joel’s and got to the mechanic’s around 2 p.m. and started back up the mountain to the farm. After getting back, I got some RCP work completed while Seth and Jess watched the new episode of Breaking Bad. Towards the afternoon, we had a date to meet the mechanic once again, but this time it dealt with a different type of transportation. He led us about 20 minutes away to the field where he has his horses and cattle. We spent an hour or so with the horses and were able to see a few of the tiny calves that had recently been born! 

Thunder could be heard in the distance while we were on the way home and stopped at the store to pick up a few veggies for the evening’s dinner. The rainy drive home was extended slightly by a wrong turn along the way but the air turned so cool that it was perfect for riding. 

Around 8 p.m. or so I began preparing the vegetables for the ginger carrot and sweet potato soup I was making for the evening accompanied with easy listening from Neil Young and Janis Joplin. It’s one of my favorite recipes and Jess and Seth loved it as well! We all enjoyed our meal by the warm fire. This leads me to now, still by the fire, and watching the Office with the best bosses and friends for which an intern could ask!

I hope everyone has enjoyed their day as much as I have and has the loveliest night – don’t forget to step outside to see the Perseids tonight, it should be an amazing light show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment